Friday, May 22, 2009

Never Judge a Book by Its Movie

I saw the film version of Kate DiCamillo’s, The Tale of Despereaux last night.

Quite frankly, it stinks.

Parents, please, please, please READ this wonderful tale to your children before they watch the movie. The book is soooo much richer. The stories of the three wayward heroes entwine in such an intriguing way, it leaves the reader breathless and wanting more.

I read Despereaux in 2003, when it was first published. I absolutely loved it! I was not surprised when it won the Newberry Medal later that same year. It is extremely clever and cute. A good read-aloud for all ages. A good read-alone too (for us loners).

So, I reiterate, never judge a book by its movie.

I urge you all to let your mind’s eye splurge in the fantasy and enjoy what the author truly wanted to offer.

Enough said.

4 comments:

  1. I knew the movie was going to stink and made sure to read to the book instead. I really hate when Hollywood turns books into movies. Most of the time they're just awful, at least for me. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, Ksaldria, you didn't say how much you liked the book???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sweet. I cried. And then I made Mom read it :D

    ReplyDelete