Monday, April 13, 2009

Beware: Genius at Work

The day before Easter, I was at the supermarket, only because I had to go get dinner stuff for that evening. Shopping, especially when the throngs are out shopping too, and/or cooking are not my favorite things to do.

Anyway, there I was with my five items in the “express” line of about a million people. When it was my turn, I noticed a hand-written notice at the register saying, “Cash only. No debit or credit. Sowy.”

Sowy??

I read the sign slowly aloud to myself…

“Cash only. No debit or credit. Sowy.”

Oh! It’s supposed to be sorry!

Well, being the English language aficionado that I am, I very politely asked the young, Hispanic male checker if he knew that the word “sorry” on the sign was spelled incorrectly.

“Oh,” he said laughing with nary a Hispanic (or Oriental) accent, “I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be with a ‘y’ or an ‘ie’.”

>.<

Gee, I wonder if his high school English teachers were sowy to see the genius go?

(Is it wrong for me to assume Vons requires a high school diplomma to work there?)

1 comment: